African Urbanism is an online urbanism initiative exploring West African cities’ urban development trajectories, and an offline initiative to engage communities in targeted public space improvements (learn more about African Urbanism). African Urbanism pushes for a progressive platform that showcases the intricacy of West Africa’s spaces, educating and highlighting both urban challenges and opportunities. In a few years, African Urbanism has expanded its reach globally, covering urban development issues across the region, presenting on public spaces and urbanism in Accra, Ghana; Beirut, Lebanon, Cape Town, South Africa; and Barcelona, Spain, and has been featured as one of the “best city blogs around the world” by the Guardian Cities.
As we continue to grow and to expand our reach, we seek two interns with a passion for urbanism journalism and social media to contribute twice monthly website articles, support our online discussions, social media engagement and development of a publication on creative urbanism in West Africa cities. If you are creative, energetic, and eager to learn, and can commit to a five-month internship (May through September), we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for candidates with the following:
- Based in Accra, Ghana, or another West African city (or demonstrated living/studying experience in a West African city)
- Academic background or demonstrated passion for urban-related themes (transportation, urban planning, architecture, environment, design, sociology, etc.)
- Demonstrated strong writing experience, with social media experience or interest in growing this skill
- Strong research and/or journalism/blogging skills
- Readiness to brainstorm and share your ideas on urban challenges, opportunities, and article features
As an intern, you’ll be expected to:
- Work on a part-time, remote basis (this is an unpaid opportunity)
- Contribute to brainstorming on article ideas and features
- Create an “urban series” by following one West African city through twice monthly article features (every other week), incorporating original photography and/or other media
- Contribute to social media engagement
- Learn more about and increase your exposure to urban development frameworks, initiatives and individuals; strengthen your writing; and further your urbanism passions.
Application Instructions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship – African Urbanism – NAME” and include in your email application the following three items:
- your resume or cv (maximum two pages)
- a one-page cover letter (explaining your interest in cities, your proposed city focus and why you’d like to join our team as an intern), and
- a writing sample (maximum 700 words) with self-produced multi-media workWe look forward to hearing from you!